Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnmalledo
Cadet
Cadet

Unable to boot remote exam live ISO USB

Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a “remake” of the @Ole 2021 post "Cannot Boot Remote Exam Live ISO USB for Remote Exam, Boot hanging at 100" that I read thoroughly. I recently purchased a mini pc for space reasons, a “MaxMini B6 Power” to be more specific, with the following features

CPU: Intel® 10th Gen Core™ i7-1060NG7, Turbo Frequency 3.8GHz 
GPU: Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics
Memory: 16GB
Storage: 1TB SSD

I’m using the rhrexboot-2023-06.iso, and I’m experiencing the same issue, so I quote OP comment:

“The boot process is starting until the screen "environment is loading into memory" appears, it counts up to 100% and then nothing more is happening“.

Actually, in my case, screen goes black (and eventually monitor loses signal, going into a sleep state) instead of showing the next feedback: a little red hat logo and a progress bar that completes in about 15 seconds, leading to a window asking if you want to configure disability features.

Not a single message is shown, so I have no clue of what’s happening

Sorry for reopening this post, it's because, I think the provided solution (using a previous version of the boot exam iso) doesn't apply in my case (a relatively new hardware), so is there a new image I can test? Is there anything I can check or do in order to use my mini pc for taking a remote exam?

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
carlos_arias

Hi there,

It seems like you are already using the latest version of the ISO. I guess that some driver is missing for the GPU, hence when the loading passes it stops responding to the running OS. I don't think switching to another monitor will work, but if you have another give it a try.

carlos_arias_0-1719221362884.png

In the end, I think you can only wait for a new release of the ISO that includes the corresponding drivers that make your miniPC compatible.

Best regards.

RHCA - Level III
Free software for free people

View solution in original post

5 Replies
carlos_arias

Hi there,

It seems like you are already using the latest version of the ISO. I guess that some driver is missing for the GPU, hence when the loading passes it stops responding to the running OS. I don't think switching to another monitor will work, but if you have another give it a try.

carlos_arias_0-1719221362884.png

In the end, I think you can only wait for a new release of the ISO that includes the corresponding drivers that make your miniPC compatible.

Best regards.

RHCA - Level III
carlos_arias

Also, have a look at this thread:

https://learn.redhat.com/t5/General/Blank-screen-when-booting-Remote-Exam-ISO/m-p/43394#M8581

RHCA - Level III
0 Kudos
Chetan_Tiwary_

@jnmalledo  you can always reach out to exam support for any help / guidance / official response in these matters : https://rhtapps.redhat.com/comments 
Please note that "Exam support link" ( https://rhtapps.redhat.com/comments ) is the official channel for raising support case and taking guidance/ help for anything related to exam. All other comments and suggestions are provisional.

PetrCihlar

the issue you are experiencing is related to video card (GPU) compatibility. You can get around it by using a different computer or changing video card, which might be difficult for a mini PC

Petr Cihlar

If the mini PC has more than one type of video output, HDMI and DisplayPort, for example, you could also try a different connector. While you'll obviously be using the same GPU, I've had problems with the system being able to set up one output and not another one on some hardware.

Definitely not a guarantee, but it's someting you can try with a wire you might already own.

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.