Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bschonec
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Installing Documentation for Red Hat Satellite 6, eg: PDFs

Jump to solution

I'm studying for the RH Satellite 6 exam and it just occurred to me that there is no documentation installed on the workstation or satellite lab servers.  In addition, I've found no documentation that I *can* install because when you click on the Documentation button on the Satellite web interface, it sends you to Red Hat via the Internet.  Obviously, there won't be any Internet access during the exam.

How can I get documetation installed via the provided ISOs, DVDs, YUM repos, etc in the lab?  I want to simulate what I think the exam is going to be like.

There's absolutely no way I'm going to be able to remember everything and I'll need to reference documentation.  There's hardly a man page that's useful at all.

How do I get the PDFs (ie:  Provisioning Guide, Content Management Guide, etc, etc) installed on my lab servers so that I can simulate a disconnected exam?  I can't just copy the PDFs from Red Hat because that wouldn't simulate a disconnected exam.  The PDFs/Docs must come from a resource provided in the labs.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
flozano

You can rest assured that it is a standard practice with Red Hat certifications exams to provide the product documentation inside the exam environment.The fact that is was not made available in the classroom environment doesn't have any implications about the exam environment: they are not the same, they are desgined by different teams who have different goals.
Besides that, installing the documentation is not an exam objective. :-)

View solution in original post

ricardodacosta

I'm marking @flozano's solution as accepted as he's correct.

In your EX403 certification exam, we provide a subset for the documentation which we took from access.redhat.com for Satellite 6.2.1 and it's made available to you.

The the Additional Information link in your exam for more info,.

Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're satisfied with the solutions provided please mark the solution as ACCEPTED.

Don't forget to thank those who helped you out with kudos!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lisenet
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

While I don't find Satellite installation complicated, I'm interested in knowing the answer to your question.

For the most part, all I need to remember is this:

# yum install satellite 
# satellite-installer --scenario satellite
# satellite-installer --scanario capsule

Then I can use the hammer or jump to WebUI.

0 Kudos
bschonec
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

There are things you can't do in the Web UI, like enabling TFTP, DHCP and BOOTP services.  Those require the command line.  In addition, provisioning can be difficult if you don't remember how to modify the provisioning templates and to work around bugs in Satellite 6.2

0 Kudos
flozano

You can rest assured that it is a standard practice with Red Hat certifications exams to provide the product documentation inside the exam environment.The fact that is was not made available in the classroom environment doesn't have any implications about the exam environment: they are not the same, they are desgined by different teams who have different goals.
Besides that, installing the documentation is not an exam objective. :-)

ricardodacosta

I'm marking @flozano's solution as accepted as he's correct.

In your EX403 certification exam, we provide a subset for the documentation which we took from access.redhat.com for Satellite 6.2.1 and it's made available to you.

The the Additional Information link in your exam for more info,.

Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're satisfied with the solutions provided please mark the solution as ACCEPTED.

Don't forget to thank those who helped you out with kudos!

bschonec
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

While I find it humorous that you state "installing the documentation is not an exam objective", I must certainly disagree that for me it most certainly is!  :-)

I will have slim to no chance of my 50 year old brain remembering all of the ./satellite-installer options that are required for provisioning.

My exam is tomorrow and I've been trying like heck to find helpful hints and procedures that will ensure a passing score.

Thanks for the feedback!

flozano

Hi @bschonec,

First of al, I wish good luck with your exam!

Installing the product docs is not an exam objective: you can verify at the official EX403 page in redhat.com.

I also rely on product documentation during certification exams; I can't remember a single one where I did not consulted it extensively. And I took a lot of exams. Not as many as @ricardodacosta but more the average. I also have a hard time to memorize anything.

The best hint to pass any certification exam from Red Hat is practice. You won't find a 'hints book' or 'hints website' that actually increases your chances. You need to perform day-to-day activities with the product, and IMHO all exams are pretty fair regarding this. I best that anywho who uses a Red Hat product as part of their daily job should pass the product's exam. Maybe the exam requires a couple things you don't use on your day job, but them you can fire a VM and practive these things.

I would also agree that knowing the product documentation, being used to find information in the product guides for your day job is a skill that helps with most exams.

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.