Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thahif
Cadet
Cadet

NFS and space?

Hello,

I have a requirement of mounting a NFS share from server1 to server2(client). I was able to mount and df -h works fine. I'm confused here .. the df -h o/p shows remote dir space or it supposed to show  space occupied on the client server?

Also, I have 1TB SAN disk added to the client server and I want to make use of that to store data from nfs mountpoint. Can I directly mount the NFS exported to the SAN disk mountpath? if so, df -h will show what space? SAN allocated space or remote NFS server path disk space?

these may be basic.. but please help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
selwyn
Cadet
Cadet

df -h should show the space used in a filesystem.  A mounted NFS share will show the space used or available on the NFS mount.  

Not sure what the second part of your question is asking.  SAN storage will be separate from NFS mounted storage.

0 Kudos
DArnold
Cadet
Cadet

If the SAN exports the storage via NFS, you can mount it in RHEL just like any other NFS drive. To enable that on your SAN device, you will have to do some research into your SAN's capabilities.  

If your SAN doesn't use NFS, there are other options available.  Depending on your version of RHEL, you can mount many different types of drives to a RHEL server...and, on most of them, as @selwyn said, df -h will show the storage on the drives you currently have connected to your system.

Here's the RHEL 8 documentation on mounting filesystems. 
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/managing_file_systems/... 

I hope provides some help.

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.