jeesshnasree
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer
  • 14.9K Views

There is no space left on the device

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I faced below 2 issues.

I faced one issue regarding file copy not possible from one “File System “ to “another file system “  ( file system shows free space) , while copy file then getting there is no space left on the device message.

I tried multiple times but not able copy .

One of the File system showing  free space with “df -Ph /opt” but getting alerts like “ Disk Warning- free space: 5689 MB (25% inode=99%) .  Here unable to find which file utilising more space .

First issue unable to copy and how to find the issue, how to resolve it .

Second issue unable to find exact file consuming more File System use.

i think , I explained my issues on Linux OS. 

Could you please provide solution . I am waiting for your valuable information.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter
  • 14.9K Views

The issue is most likely this: inode=99%

update: It was pointed out in a later post that this probably means 99% free. If so, then my proposed solution is incorrect. 

Every file, directory, and soft link gets an inode number. If you are out of inodes, no more can be created/used in the file system's allocation table. This presents has being "out of space". You cannot store any more files.

The inodes can be used with the -i option with ls.

You appear to have free space (5.6Gb), but you are out of inodes.

I normally see this if a file system has a lot of small files and/or a lot of soft links.

One way to "fix" this is to free up inode space on the destination file system. To do this, you can move (not copy) a bunch of small files to yet another file system or delete a bunch of soft links.

See: https://www.linuxtoday.com/blog/what-is-an-inode.html

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter
  • 14.9K Views

The issue is most likely this: inode=99%

update: It was pointed out in a later post that this probably means 99% free. If so, then my proposed solution is incorrect. 

Every file, directory, and soft link gets an inode number. If you are out of inodes, no more can be created/used in the file system's allocation table. This presents has being "out of space". You cannot store any more files.

The inodes can be used with the -i option with ls.

You appear to have free space (5.6Gb), but you are out of inodes.

I normally see this if a file system has a lot of small files and/or a lot of soft links.

One way to "fix" this is to free up inode space on the destination file system. To do this, you can move (not copy) a bunch of small files to yet another file system or delete a bunch of soft links.

See: https://www.linuxtoday.com/blog/what-is-an-inode.html

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College
0 Kudos
jeesshnasree
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer
  • 14.9K Views

Hi @Tracy_Baker ,

Thanks for share valuable information .

0 Kudos
littlebigfab
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter
  • 14.9K Views

Hi @jeesshnasree,

That alert looks like it comes from Nagios. If so, the inode=99% refers to the percentage of free inodes and is nothing to worry about. I also guess that your Nagios disk monitor is configured to trigger a warning when ≤25% of your /opt FS is free.

Why you can't copy a file to /opt can have several causes.

First, are you sure you're trying to copy into the /opt FS and not into a different nested or linked FS ?

Otherwise, there may be free space used by open files descriptors or reserved for the root user. Check out this page for more information about that.

To find what files are consuming your FS, you can use : du -sh /opt/*

Then continuing, getting down to the largest directories.

du stands for Disk Usage. I often use it with the -s (sum) and -h (human readable) flags.

0 Kudos
jeesshnasree
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer
  • 14.9K Views

Hi @littlebigfab ,

yes ,  /root FS is reached 100%  due to this reason unable to copy below file from source "/tmp" to " /usr/* .

# Copy file is from /tmp and "tpm" space is available . source file under /tmp path and destination path is need to copy /usr/* |#

cp: cannot create directory `./sample.txt' : No space left on device .

finaly , thanks for sharing valuable information .

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.