whoami24
Cadet
Cadet

Answer Doubt on RH124 ch07 - Quiz:Interpret Linux File System Permission.

Jump to solution

In RH124 ch07 - Quiz:Interpret Linux File System Permission.

For last question, 

Which files can the operator2 user delete?

Answer mentioned as None of the files. However Option B  is posible right as there is no sticky bit set on directory, Hence others with write permission can delete  the file right. Kindly explain the right one or  if anything i am misunderstood on this question.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hi @whoami24 ,

Thanks for reaching out!

I think answer to the quiz question given  is correct.

When deleting files, the directory permissions are used, not the file permissions. Therefore, even if operator2 has write access to the files themselves, they cannot delete them if they do not have write access to the directory.

View solution in original post

hi @whoami24 , 

we need to have write and execute permissions on the directory to modify it's content and also we need to have write permission on the file itself to delete it from file system.

Thank you

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hi @whoami24 ,

Thanks for reaching out!

I think answer to the quiz question given  is correct.

When deleting files, the directory permissions are used, not the file permissions. Therefore, even if operator2 has write access to the files themselves, they cannot delete them if they do not have write access to the directory.

whoami24
Cadet
Cadet

Yes ! I missed that Thanks for your reply and your time!

hi @whoami24 , 

we need to have write and execute permissions on the directory to modify it's content and also we need to have write permission on the file itself to delete it from file system.

Thank you

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.