tkonto
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

DO180 4.5 two pods created

Jump to solution

Hi All,

ch06s04 step 3.2

The book says:

List the pods in this project to verify that the MySQL pod is ready and running:

[student@workstation ~]$ oc get pods -o=wide NAME READY STATUS ... NODE mysql-openshift-1-glqrp 1/1 Running ... ip-10-0-148-115.ec2.internal

I get:

Selection_192.png

What is this second -deploy pod for and why it is not mentioned in the book?

BR
Theo
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jordisola
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi Theo

That is the so-called "deployment pod". 

This is automatically created by OpenShift, and its purpose is to get everything ready for the deployment process to run. In this case, it makes sure the "mysql-57-rhel7" is available and creates the deploymentConfig resource. 

I can't tell you a definitive answer about why it is not mentioned in the book (probably it should!), but a plausible reason is that DO180 is an introductory course. Getting too deep into the way OpenShift implements different types of deployments may confuse students, and probably it is best suited for more advanced courses.

Anyway, and as you said, it is worth at least mentioning that the existence of this container is expected. I'll add a note to the development team.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

KR

Jordi Sola

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jordisola
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi Theo

That is the so-called "deployment pod". 

This is automatically created by OpenShift, and its purpose is to get everything ready for the deployment process to run. In this case, it makes sure the "mysql-57-rhel7" is available and creates the deploymentConfig resource. 

I can't tell you a definitive answer about why it is not mentioned in the book (probably it should!), but a plausible reason is that DO180 is an introductory course. Getting too deep into the way OpenShift implements different types of deployments may confuse students, and probably it is best suited for more advanced courses.

Anyway, and as you said, it is worth at least mentioning that the existence of this container is expected. I'll add a note to the development team.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

KR

Jordi Sola

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.