Ken_McDonald
Cadet
Cadet

Is there Dockerfile format or example in RHEL man page or elsewhere in an OS install?

Jump to solution

Can I find Dockerfile format structure (keywords, examples, etc) in a standalone RHEL OS installation? So that during a certification test I could lookup the format if I forget something. I know many OS commands have stuff like "man 5 command" to get their config file structure details, but I cannot seem to find anything like that for a Dockerfile or Containerfile

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fran_Garcia
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Re: Is there Dockerfile format or example in RHEL man page or elsewhere in an OS install?

Jump to solution

This is valid for any type of file you might need, so take your peek Smiley Happy

# yum provides "**/Dockerfile"

# yum install buildah-tests  (for example)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Fran_Garcia
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Re: Is there Dockerfile format or example in RHEL man page or elsewhere in an OS install?

Jump to solution

This is valid for any type of file you might need, so take your peek Smiley Happy

# yum provides "**/Dockerfile"

# yum install buildah-tests  (for example)

View solution in original post

Ken_McDonald
Cadet
Cadet

Jump to solution

Thanks @Fran_Garcia !!! That is exactly the kind of info I needed. Never really thought to globally search the repositories for example files. That'll help a lot in case I forget a keyword or syntax in a closed-off cert test lab environment

0 Kudos
flozano

Jump to solution

AFAIK RHEL8 man pages provide no example and no explanation of the syntax of Dockerfile, just like RHEL8 gcc package provides no tutorial on the C programming language.

But you can find a few examples of Dockerfiles and recommended practices in the "Building, running, and managing containers" guide from RHEL8 at

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/building_runnin...

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.