cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 213K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,308 Replies
PiotrS
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

As far as I know you can't modify Exam ISO and you have no access to OS of this environment. So the answer is - no you can't install.

JS_Learning

Hi @binyam 

@PiotrS is correct, you can not modify the "Live Remote Exam Environment", so you can not install anything (except what could be asked in an exam instruction, for example some packages, and that is limited to some exam related virtual machines ...).

JS_Learning

Hi @crixus1 ,

Candidates receive the information by email, after the purchasing process.

It contains a link with all the instructions.

bardo
Cadet
Cadet

Hi ,

I've a question about the remote exam . I've already scheduled the exam on training center ( the exam is Ansible EX407 ). Now I want change this exam to remote mode but on the exam scheduler change type button is not available  .

What is the reason ?

How can I change this in to remote ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

shefeeqyr

Hi @bardo,

EX407 will be available as a Remote Exam pretty soon.

Please refer to my comments at https://learn.redhat.com/t5/General/Questions-about-getting-ready-for-your-Red-Hat-remote-exam/m-p/1...

You should be able to see an option to cancel your existing schedule (or reschedule to a much farther date to avoid a no-show). Once RE option is released in about a week or so, you can switch it.

Regards,

Shefeeq

0 Kudos
StephenG
Cadet
Cadet

Hi,

I really would appreciate it if a list of compatible webcam that worked reliably could be setup, even if it's community run because many of us seem to be subject to a large amount of variability. With just over 24 hours to go until my exam I had to cancel it because my webcam (Logitech BRIO Ultra HD, not a shabby camera) worked fine during the Compatibility Testing but when I re-tested it (without a reboot) the microphone then failed the test repeatedly and the camera image is suddenly flipped. It seems the testing environment is not maintaining the settings between the first and subsequent times it accesses the camera.

I'd put in loads of work to be ready for the test on the Holiday Monday here in the UK but as the remote exam environment flipped from "PASSED" to "FAILED" within a few minutes I'm now going backwards. I'm using a desktop PC (which I purchased explicitly for exam taking purposes) so I don't have an internal microphone to fall back on. I'm £1000 deep so far into this already, what do I need to buy to take the exam? Once I know, I'll buy it.

"Webcam: One external webcam with at least a 1m cable" doesn't really offer much clarity. I have one of those, a pretty good one but it's apparently is unreliable in this remote exam environment.

I feel like I've failed before I've even started.

StephenG

PraveenMishra
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi StephenG,

I am from India, I recently gave the exam and here are things that I would like to share with you:

1. You should be focusing on the exam and not the set up. Don't get distracted by it. If things don't work when the exam starts, you can ask the proctor to reschedule it. They are very understading and co-operative.

2. Two things are important for the external camera: auto focus and field of view. I ordered a couple of cameras and used the one which fit my requirements. Auto focus means, if you put a document in front of it, few inchese away, the proctor should be able to read it. You can try this with your operatiing system and see if you are able to read it. Second, the field of view, When you put the camera next your laptop, it should capture the keyboard and your face.

3. My set up involved a laptop. While ordering a camera, search for the requirements above and order those only, get them, test them and return them if not good. My external camera didn't have auto-focus, so for documents vefification I had to use my laptop camera.

4. This remote exam setup by Red-Hat is new,  and still being developed. which means if you have passed the compatibility test in the first attempt and failed in the second attempt, probbly something is wrong with the compatibility tester. I did compatibility test many times before the exam and it always failed in the second attempt(sometimes media servers cannot connect, or camera image is not displaying). I knew that this had nothing to do with the set-up.

5. You can change the mic for the system using the dropdown menu under microphone section. Someone has also put a screenshot for it. Please check other pages on this discussion.

6. I wish you all the best for your exams!. Don't get distracted by these set-up requirements. Only follow what's required.

7. Moderators know the best.

shefeeqyr

@PraveenMishra, @StephenG,

Couldn't have explained it better. Praveen summed it up beautifully well. Points 2) and 5) are things that will help you to confirm that your setup will work when the actual exam is released from our Proctoring application.

The media server test looks for your network's ability to transfer audio and video packets (UDP) to our servers. Typically, on a home network, UDP ports won't be restricted. In offices it's a different story. Hence, where you test your setup from is important. 

If the media server test passed once, then I don't see why your actual exam taking ability would be hindered. 

The compatibility test is something that we are tuning by ear. I'll pass on this thread to our developers to review. 

All the best for your exam.

Best Regards,

Shefeeq

0 Kudos
PiotrS
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

We can start this list here.

I can confirm that Logitech C920 is working with the RE environment.

JS_Learning

Hi @PiotrS ,

I think we should make a separated topic for that, it would be more neat and tidy.

I am wondering, as I am being employed by Red Hat, to what information we should provide to be sufficient and appropriate. For example the viewing angle, etc...Also, for example what if the autofocus was not required because the candidate had also a laptop internal webcam, and used that so the proctor can read the ID. The requirement of having 1 external webcam would be met, the external webcam recommended (by the candidate) despite the possibility that the candidate actually used the laptop internal webcam for reading the ID.

That is why I think, if we make such a topic, it would be some sort of not official recommendations, or it would have to be verified. We could not recommend a model, for example, when not entirely respecting the requirements or knowing about the candidate setup. We can't test every webcams either.

More over, the Remote Exam live environment is updated, what if, we do not recommend a webcam which would work later due to unknown fix made in another version of the RE Live Exam?

I think the topic is rather simple, yet to be technically accurate, we would need to be a bit careful.

Having said that the official recommendation is rather wide on purpose (Webcam: One external webcam with at least a 1m cable).

I want to encourage you to create such a dedicated topic on this forum, sharing is caring! I hope that the candidates will take the recommendations with a bit of care, to avoid disappointement.

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.