cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 213K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,308 Replies
jhkim
Cadet
Cadet

Hi,

After reading the 'Redhat Remote Exam' document, I believe following two environments are possible for remote exam particularily with regard to camera(s) and USB ports. Could you please confirm them ?

Note that I already made Exam Bootable Image USB device.

Env 1 - Labtop with 1 embedded camera.

-- 1 additional external USB camera

-- USB port for Exam Bootable Image USB device. (Note that this USB port is //write protected//. It's read only and boot image can be successfully loaded from this port)

Evn2 - Desktop without any embedded cameras

-- 1 external USB camera

-- USB port for Exam Bootable Image USB device. (No restriction in this USB port)

-- USB ports for wired keyborad and mouse.

I could pass compatability testing for both two environments.

But  please confirm whether they are practically eligible in real exam.

0 Kudos
jhkim
Cadet
Cadet

Hi,

Can you please confirm whether my two environments are correct in above ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vishals

Hi @jhkim ,

- An external web camera is mandatory for both desktops and laptops (Even if the laptop has an inbuilt webcam)
` The newer image loads the ISO to memory and prompts to unplug the USB device, freeing up one USB port.

With that aside, both your setups sound okay and meet the exam requirements.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Bennani
Cadet
Cadet

Hi,

the file in https://static.redhat.com/downloads/training-certification/rhrexboot.iso is corrupted ! when i download file, i cant burn it the usb disk! 

Can u check please? 

I m going to pass my exam in 15 days. 

Thank you

Regards

0 Kudos

Yeah, I have issue like this. With latest iso from this link I successfully created USB stick, but can not boot from it. 

I tried to crate usb from this https://static.redhat.com/downloads/training-certification/rhrexboot-2020-08.iso and it is working fine for me.

will the latest iso fix? 

Yes, it fix this issue.
Thunks
Regards
0 Kudos

I mean, will the current latest image be fixed?

Now it does not work on any of my computers and with different USB.

And one more observation, you can try to change the USB drive. At the first attempt to boot from the old ISO, nothing worked for me, I tried to write the image to another USB stick and it all worked: I can boot from it and check my computer. As I was informed by RH support, the last image is unstable for many people. Still old can be used for the exam.

0 Kudos
OrnellaG
Cadet
Cadet

Hi,

I'm considering taking a remote exam but I still have a few questions concerning its organisation. Four of them concern webcams and mouse:

- Do you recommend certain webcam specifically? From my experience, it can be difficult to find a Linux-compatible webcam, especially if you cannot test it before buying it. Moreover, can you be more precise concerning the cam specs in terms of definition and angle? I'm really not used to using this kind of tools...

- Also concerning the webcam, I don't know how to manage two active webcams at the same time. I understood that a programm to do so was embeded in the system you provide for the exam. Is this right? If no, is it compulsory to have two webcams?

- Concerning my laptop, the embeded webcam is really badly located, at the right bottom of the screen, mainly filming my hands and keyboard and my face from a weird angle. Would it be OK anyway? If no, can an external webcam be enough ou do I need to buy two external webcams?

- I have a wired mouse but it is a Razer one with many buttons and backlighing. Is it OK or do I need a more standard one?

Now I also have questions concerning the organisation of my working space, considering that I live in a small flat and that moving all my desk is highly inconvenient:

- I have shelves full of books on my desk. Is is OK if I cover them, for example with mat plastic fixed with tape?

- I have drawers besides and under my desk containing many things including laptops and electronic equipment, can I tape them too?

- On the other side of the room, behind me, there is a rack with various things, mainly books and old CDs/DVDs. Can I keep it there? If no, is it possible to cover it also, for instance with a sheet?

- An alternative to the desk could be to use the small table which is also on the other side of the room, with no shelves or other things around. I have yet to find a way to appropriatly place the webcam but would it be an acceptable solution to you (I can still cover my rack and desk with a sheet if necessary)?

- Do I need to remove the two NAS that are hidden by the door, just besides my box (not besides my desk)?

- Do I need to remove the printer which is besides my desk?

Many thanks for your answers.

0 Kudos
vishals

Hi @OrnellaG ,

The remote exam only needs one external web camera. I cannot recommend one but most modern web cameras are supported on Fedora. (The remote exam image is based on Fedora). This thread where other users share their setup may help - https://learn.redhat.com/t5/General/RedHat-Remote-Exam-supported-hardware-cameras-mice-keyboards/m-p...

I have a wired mouse but it is a Razer one with many buttons and backlighing. Is it OK or do I need a more standard one?

A standard mouse is recommended.

Now I also have questions concerning the organisation of my working space, considering that I live in a small flat and that moving all my desk is highly inconvenient:

While a clear desk would be easier for the proctor, covering books, printers with a sheet/towel should not pose problems.

Most importantly, Good luck with your exam!

Regards,

0 Kudos
OrnellaG
Cadet
Cadet

Many thanks for your answer!

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.