Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gnossa
Cadet
Cadet

Red Hat Standalone VM using Oracle Virtual Box

Hello,

I am new to the @Red Hat Academy and I am trying to put Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a virtual disk image (VDI) using the Oracle VirtualBox. 

I tried loading the RHA .iso image for Red Hat Enterprise Linux into my Oracle Virtual Box and this failed..

It seems the KVM format of Red Hat Lab Files is incompatible with the Oracle Virtual Box..

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
leegibuk
Cadet
Cadet

Using an ISO with VirtualBox should work, remember to attach it as a LiveCD to boot from.

There is a guide here:

https://developers.redhat.com/rhel8/install-rhel8-vbox

Hope this helps,

Lee

0 Kudos
gnossa
Cadet
Cadet

Thank you very much Lee! This link is super helpful..

Regards,

George
0 Kudos
Stephen_Adams
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Virtualbox and KVM are both type2 hypervisors. But with differences.

In your statement "It seems the KVM format of Red Hat Lab Files is incompatible with the Oracle Virtual Box.." You are correct, it won't work. I'm not sure what "Red Hat Lab Files" are but I know KVM and Oracle Virtual Box are not 100% compatible.

A key difference with how they operate is the format of virtualization storage disks assigned to VM's with both hypervisors.

KVM uses qcow2 (QEMU Copy On Write) while Virtualbox uses VDI(Virtual Disk Images). If a KVM vm was exported including their disks and then tried to be imported into Virtualbox, it will not work without a tool to convert virtual storage disk types between formats.

Here is a good page that breaks these steps down.

As to what @leegibuk says about checking the boot order. An ISO will be loaded into a virtual CD-ROM which Virtualbox may need to have you explicitly set under the Storage> Controller : IDE

Stephen_Adams_3-1660152854827.png

I know it's been a few weeks and @leegibuk  already answered this, but I hope this adds the solution.

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.