cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 213K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,308 Replies
JS_Learning

Hi, look here, there has been an update on 3rd June 2021 (so 4 days ago):

Red Hat extends certification expiration dates 

It looks like they extended exams: "All certifications have been extended until October 1, 2021."

I verifed and my certification supposed to expire in June 2021, is now showing that date in October 2021!

Edit: I now have a doubt about your question, you mean you bought an exam and you want to take it at a later date? if so, your best bet is to contact support...Link to support page form 

0 Kudos
Etta
Cadet
Cadet

Hi,

Will it be allowed for using an external wired speaker during the remote exam? Because the built-in speaker of my notebook does not work.

Thank you,

Etta

0 Kudos
vishals

Hi, please see - https://learn.redhat.com/t5/General/Questions-about-getting-ready-for-your-Red-Hat-remote-exam/m-p/1...

Speakers are not a requirement for remote exams. The proctor will communicate with you via a chat applet within the exam environment.
However, a microphone is needed to transmit your audio to the proctors. If your internal mic also has problems, you can use a wired microphone/headset (via jack or USB) and leave it on the work table. (Your exam proctor will guide on the camera & mic placement).

0 Kudos

Hello,I've prepared the USB key with the remote exam image. Just to make a quick verification, I made an attempt using it on my business machine, a Thinkpad P50. After disabling Secure Boot on BIOS, it starts loading but when it reaches 100% it is freezed.

Using the same USB key on my personal laptop (an old Samsung machine with i5 and 8GB) it is instead able to complete initialization and also shows the configuration editors.

Wondering whether the P50 may have any other BIOS setting that may prevent the correct initialization of the image. It starts loading and shows the splashscreen, so it is not an issue with bootloader or UEFI/Legacy config.

HDD is encrypted, but I don't think this can be an issue considering that the USB is

expected to load everything in RAM and internal disk should not be used at all.

Any idea about how to further debug ?

The alternative would be to use my personal laptop, but the camera is really poor and keyboard is also not working that well...I would prefer to fix the problem on P50 and use this one for the remote exam...

Thanks

Aldo

Thanks

0 Kudos
vishals

Hi Aldo,

This exact same issue was reported for the ThinkPad T470 model here .
(I recall someone reporting the same issue for the ThinkPad T50 earlier but can't find the link now now.)
We have reported this to the devs but I don't have any fix yet.
If you want to test using the same device, the only workaround I know is to use the older version of the ISO - https://static.redhat.com/downloads/training-certification/rhrexboot-2020-08.iso (See this)

Regards,

0 Kudos
asonisg
Cadet
Cadet

I am facing the same issue. Any resolution?

0 Kudos
Rima
Cadet
Cadet

I have scheduled my RedHat exam remotely but unfortunately don't have any webcam and free USB drive. Due to lockdown for COVID there is restriction to go to the exam centre.

My laptop has an built in camera. Will this sufficient for a remote exam ?

0 Kudos
Gineesh
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

I don’t think so. The primary requirement for this exam is an external
camera with 1 meter length atleast. The proctor should be able to see you,
your keyboard/laptop. It won’t work with an integrated webcam. Did you try
the compatibility check, it won’t pass I guess.

Personal note: Try to order a webcam from Amazon or other quick delivery
services or reschedule exam until you get the items.
0 Kudos
Rilindo
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

As it was stated by @Gineesh, you need a second camera as the proctor needs to have a wider view of your environment. 

And exam requires that you boot from a USB drive to access the exam, so you do need to have a free USB slot as well USB drive with the installed exam OS. Until then, I would recommend you postpone your exam if you don't get either item.

0 Kudos
JS_Learning

Hi @Rima ,

I see other answered, unfortunately without quoting the official information:

You should consult the official document:

Remote Exams Preparation Ebook 

Extract: "Webcam: One external webcam with at least a 1m cable."

Borrow one to someone you know if you can...

If you choose to buy a webcam, one of the learner, @PiotrS made a topic with hardware recommendations: RedHat-Remote-Exam-supported-hardware-cameras-mice-keyboards 

That should help you also,

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.